After three glorious weeks of road-tripping (i.e. store-bought salads and protein bars from a cooler in the back of a car and eating out at restaurants), I have returned to London with a new zest for cooking and trying out new recipes. We have loads of scrummy dinners on our menu this week (Asian Salmon Burgers, Spinach and Pea Potato Salad, Lemon-Honey Chicken and a steak and roasted asparagus salad), but I HAVE to HAVE to share the meal we had on Sunday night because IT. WAS. MEGA. You have got to try this Shrimp & Bean Burrito Bowl!
Shrimp & Bean Burrito Bowl with Mango-Jalapeño Slaw (adapted from Cooking Light magazine)
Serves 4 (or 2 with leftovers for lunch the next day!)
Ready in around 25-30 minutes
What you'll need...
For the Prawns and Bean pureé
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 400 g prawns
- 1 1/2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
For the Mango-Jalapeño Slaw
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- Fresh coleslaw mixture (I used Waitrose's ribbon vegetable stir-fry and it worked brilliantly)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (I left this out, but it's completely up to you!)
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced, julienne style.
Now get started...
- Begin by cooking your rice per package directions.
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside while you carry on with the prawns and bean pureé....
- Put the chicken stock and black beans in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the stock has reduced slightly (You don't want this to be too liquid-y or else your pureé will be more of a soup...).
- Remove pan from heat and add butter, and some salt and pepper to taste. Using an immersion blender or a food processor, blend mixture until smooth.
- Add oil to a frying pan and heat. Season prawns with salt and pepper and add prawns to pan. Cook for approximately 4 minutes or until done and beautifully pink, then remove pan from heat. Stir in chili sauce to coat the prawns.
- When your rice is cooked, fluff with a fork and stir in half of the chopped coriander. Divide bean mixture, rice, prawns and slaw between your plates and top with sliced avocado, remaining coriander, a lime wedge and, if you fancy, some feta cheese or (if you can find it) queso fresco / cotija cheese.
WORKOUT OF THE DAY
A) Strength: Split Jerk
A1) Every 90 seconds, for 12 minutes (8 sets)
3 reps @ 80% of 1RM
*Pause for 1-2 seconds in receiving position
A2) Push press: 1 x max reps @ 75% of push press 1RM
21 Front squats (60/40 kg)
3 Legless rope climbs
15 Front squats (60/40 kg)
2 Legless rope climbs
9 Front squat (60/40 kg)
1 Legless rope climbs