As mentioned in last week's blog, our forthcoming Nutrition Challenge, 'The Change Challenge', is divided in to two parts: Hitting the Metabolic Re-Set and Getting Personal.
The first three weeks of the challenge are dedicated to 'Hitting the Metabolic Re-Set'.
Why do we need to do this and what exactly does that mean?? Read on to learn more....
Hitting the Metabolic Re-set
During the first three weeks, The Change Challenge will hit your Metabolic Re-set button and get you functioning optimally through a Paleo nutrition framework.
The Paleo diet is the healthiest way you can eat because it is the ONLY nutritional approach that works with your genetics to help you stay lean, strong and energetic! Research in biology, biochemistry, ophthalmology, dermatology and many other disciplines indicate it is our modern diet, full of refined foods, trans fats and sugar, that is at the root of degenerative diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, depression and infertility. – Robb Wolf
By removing the bad stuff and fuelling ourselves with the good stuff we will optimise our markers or health and performance.
What do I need to do to hit the Metabolic Re-Set Button??
"Eat meat & vegetables, nuts & seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar”.
This means eat whole, natural, real foods:
- If it had a heartbeat, grew from the ground or hung from a tree, it's probably good to go.
- Avoid processed and man-made food or food that contains ingredients you either cannot pronounce or don’t know what it means.
- If could go outside into the wilderness and find the food, its fine to eat.
The Change Challenge, First Step - Hitting the Metabolic Re-Set: The Rules
- Eat protein (meat/fish/vegetarian protein source), carbohydrate (veggies/fruit), and a healthy fat, EVERY TIME you eat
- No sugar, or sugar-containing items
- Eat starch (rice, etc) only in the last meal before, or the first meal after, training
- No gluten or gluten-containing items
- No alcohol
The 90/10 Rule
We use the paleo diet as a framework for our nutritional guidance, not a 'be all and end all' list of rules. We always recommend people eat as ‘clean’ as possible, but we also want to enjoy the foods we love. To help you treat yourself occasionally, while still developing good habits and making the progress you want, during this first step, you will be following, 'The 90/10 Rule': You must stick to the above rules 90% of your meals, the other 10% you can deviate.
For example, let’s say you eat four times a day. Over one week, that's 28 eating opportunities. 10% of 28 is 2.8, we will let you round up, so that's 3 meals during the week you can deviate.
A deviation is a single serving straying from any of the above 5 rules:
1 glass of wine or a bottle of beer is 1 deviation, a bottle of wine or a 6-pack is not!
1 slice of cheesecake is 1 deviation, 3/4 of a cheesecake is not!
Remember if you have a meal that is missing one item from protein, carbohydrates and fat, that is also a deviation of the rules.
When you sign up for The Change Challenge, you get access to tools and resources to track your progress and compliance so you can see exactly how you are performing. Are you hitting the targets? Are you staying above 90% compliance? Let us handle that hard work for you!
Easy peasy, right? Right! Ready to get signed up? Click here to register via Team up. Questions on The Change Challenge? E-mail Coach Maria: firstname.lastname@example.org.