It's every CrossFitter's favourite time of year... Open season is upon us!
The first Open workout will be announced on 23 February, with the final Open workout closing on 27 March. We will be doing the Open workouts every Sunday*:
17.1: Sunday 26 February
17.2: Sunday 5 March
17.3: Sunday 12 March
17.4: Sunday 19 March
17.5: Sunday 26 March
* Our Saturday sessions will be Open specific skills-focused / recovery days
WHAT IS THE CROSSFIT OPEN, EXACTLY?
The CrossFit Open is the glue that holds the three key aspects of CrossFit – the fitness, the community, and the competition – together. The CrossFit Open. The CrossFit Open is a worldwide competition, open to everyone. Once a week, for five weeks, CrossFit HQ will publish a workout and all CrossFitters registered for the Open will have one week to do the workout and submit their scores. The top 10-30 male and female athletes and teams from each region (number of athletes depends on the region) will go on to compete at Regionals. The top 5 athletes from Regionals will go on to T.B.D.D. (The Big Damn Deal), The CrossFit Games. From a mere 26,000 athletes in the first CrossFit Open in 2011, the CrossFit Open has grown exponentially since it first started in 2011. There were over 300,000 athletes from all different backgrounds and fitness levels registered last year! The CrossFit Open now runs an Rx and a Scaled Division, so no matter what your current fitness level is, there's no reason why you shouldn't sign up!
THE OPEN AT CROSSFIT 1864
This will be our third year hosting the Open at CrossFit 1864. And this year, we're doing it a little bit differently... we're taking on the Open as teams!
On 4 February, all registered athletes will be divided up in to four teams, led by one of the coaches. From 4 February, led by your coach and their co-captain, your team will come up with a team name, build up your team bants, fire shots at the other teams and also have a chance to recruit athletes to your team that have not yet registered for the Open!
To win the CrossFit 1864 Open, your team must have the most points at the end of the five weeks. Here's how teams can earn points:
- Participation (1 point per person for each athlete that completes the WOD)
- Top 3 Scaled Male / Female Athletes (scored 3 points for 1st place, 2 for 2nd place, 1 for 3rd place)
- Top 3 Rx Male / Female Athletes (scored 3 points for 1st place, 2 for 2nd place, 1 for 3rd place)
- Best Team Spirit (10 points for the winning team at the end of each week)
- PBs or Milestones (2 points for each athlete that hits a PB or completes a movement for the first time)
- Best Post-WOD Feels (5 points awarded at the end of the Open)
We will be posting more information about the Open and our team competition over the coming weeks, but in the meantime...
Get yourself registered!
Click here to register for the Open and make sure you list CrossFit 1864 as your affiliate!